A Lifestyle & Parenting Blog

Sunday 10 April 2016

Stylish Cashmere & Wool Knitwear You Can Machine Wash?

I have always been a big fan of knitwear.  It's so versatile and so easy to dress up or down.  And it's perfect for our unpredictable British weather.

Linda Hobbis - Wool Overs Buttoned Poncho & Shrug - Fashion - Knitwear
Buttoned Poncho & Shrug (pre-wash)
I was recently challenged to try Wool Overs cashmere and wool to prove that, not only does the company offer a super soft wool and cashmere blend but, better still, you can wash it.

From small beginnings in 1989, Wool Overs is now a world class knitwear retailer and supplies around 750,000 customers with men's and ladies classic and contemporary knitwear.

Having identified that today there is a greater need to use natural, renewable products, Wool Overs believe that wool is ideally suited to fulfil this need because it provides warm, stylish, and durable garments.

I have to admit, given my highly dubious laundry skills, that I was more than a little skeptical.

Wool Overs knitwear comes in a variety of styles but I tried the multi-way Buttoned Poncho & Shrug in a flannel grey.

Linda Hobbis wearing Wool Overs Ponch as Cardi - Fashion - Knitwear - motherdistracted.co.uk
Poncho worn as Cardi - pre-wash
Made from a blend of 30% Cashmere and 70% Merino Wool, it can be styled multiple ways and comes in 6 colours.

You can wear it as a cardi, a poncho, a shrug, a waistcoat, a bandana, a headscarf, a scarf and a cape.

8 ways to wear Wool Overs Buttoned Poncho & Shrug - Fashion - Knitwear - motherdistracted.co.uk
8 ways to wear the same garment
I found my poncho to be super-soft and well made.

Now, to the laundry test.  You need to make sure that you follow Wool Overs' instructions to the letter.
You have to make sure that you wash your garment on a wool program, using a non-bio detergent at a maximum spin speed of 600 rpm.

Use a LOW temperature of 30 degrees maximum.

NEVER use biological detergents or stain removers on wool, silk or cashmere fibres because the enzymes will eat holes into your garments.

You can't use any old non-bio detergent either.

Wool and natural fibre detergents can be found at most supermarkets.  Look out for Woolmark-approved own brand products or brands such as Silk and Wool, Woolite, Stergene and Ecover Wool Wash.

I also washed my poncho in one of those net bags to prevent any extra damage from spinning.

I have to say that I was really impressed.  The garment came out of the wash in perfect condition and after a cool iron looks like new.

Linda Hobbis wearing Wool Overs Poncho after garment wash - fashion - knitwear - motherdistracted.co.uk
Poncho - after washing - no difference!
I can see that my poncho will become a new wardrobe staple and I plan to invest in a couple more pieces such as one of their cardigans or a Breton Strip Boat Neck Jumper made from 70% cotton and 30% silk.

Wool Overs can be found HERE or you can contact them on Facebook or Twitter.

*I received my poncho free in return for an honest review.
Share:
Blog Design Created by pipdig