A Lifestyle & Parenting Blog

Tuesday 17 March 2015

5 Books I'm Planning To Read Next

I already have a huge pile of books to read by the side of my bed (currently including "Deliciously Ella", "At Home With Madame Chic" [Jennifer L. Scott], "The Everyday Supermodel" [Molly Sims], "Why Quantum Physicists Do Not Suffer" [Greg Kuhn] and "Choosing The Simply Luxurious Life"
[Shannon Ables].

I cannot resist the lure of Amazon. There is something, well, relaxing, about perusing your wish list and adding books about your latest passions. There is also something cleansing about removing those items that you eventually admit you will never really read or use.

Whenever I am asked what I would like for a present, a book is always top of my list.  My Mother's Day present was a copy of "Nourish: Mind, Body & Soul" by Amber Rose and Sadie Frost.

These are the next 5 tomes I'm planning to add to the structurally unsafe bedside literary mound.

Hardcover £11.89, Kindle Edition,£5.69 - Amazon.co.uk

Gretchen Rubin's new book is about habits, working on the theory that almost everyone wants to be "better" in some way - slimmer, smarter, better looking, more interesting, more productive - and when we try to improve ourselves, we want proof that what we are doing is working. "Better than Before", aims to show us how to turn vicious cycles into "virtuous cycles". We can do this by starting and supporting the habits that will turn us into who we want to be. The book offers specific tools and a blueprint for getting back on track.

Which bad habits would I like to change?  I'd love to stop eating so many sugary foods and to be calmer in the face of any provocation from my two little menaces.  

Hardcover £11.89, Kindle Edition £9.71 - Amazon.co.uk

I must confess I often think about the amazing three weeks (yes a short stint I know) as an au pair to the three children of a French diplomat in Paris. I was nineteen and, standing alone on the Champs-Elysees I had never felt such freedom. I've been a little bit obsessed with all things French, and particularly Parisian, ever since.

"How To Be Parisian" is a deconstruction of the French woman's views on culture, fashion and attitude, written by Bohemian free-thinkers and iconoclasts, Anne Berest, Caroline De Maigret, Audrey Diwan and Sophie Mas. The book is a witty guide to Parisienne savoir faire covering topics such as first dates and parties, how to make your boyfriend jealous and the right way to approach weddings and the gym. They also share their address book in Paris for where to go at the end of the night, for a birthday, for an smart date and even for vintage finds.

Hardcover £4.99, Kindle Edition £4.71 - Amazon.co.uk

This is a collection of essays from Oprah which have been previously featured over the past 14 years in O, The Oprah Magazine in the "What I Know For Sure" column. They are organized by theme - joy, resilience, connection, gratitude, possibility, awe, clarity, and power and offer a rare glimpse into the heart and mind of one of the world's most extraordinary women, while providing readers a guide to becoming their best selves.

I often find that it is useful to keep an encouraging and positive guide book to hand for times when I am not sure if I am doing the right thing, or if my thoughts and emotions are running away with me. This one promises to be such a book since Oprah is undeniably a force to be reckoned with in the face of adversity.

Hardcover £6.49, Kindle Edition £6.02 - Amazon.co.uk

This is about a woman called Rachel who catches the same commuter train every morning. She knows it will wait at the same signal each time, overlooking a row of back gardens. She has even started to feel like she knows the people who live in one of the houses and calls them ‘Jess and Jason’. She sees their life as perfect and wishes that she could be that happy. Then one day she sees something shocking in the few moments that the train is stationary. This changes everything and now Rachel has a chance to become a part of Jess and Jason's lives. She'll be more than just the "girl on the train".

I'm not a big fan of chick lit (if such a genre still exists) but I do love a good thriller and this one has excellent reviews.

Paperback £15.58 - Amazon.co.uk

I love the idea behind this book - creating family friendly art and craft projects to fit in with the changing seasons. Caitlin adores crafts but, as readers of this blog will know, it's something I struggle with and I find inspiration generally eludes me!

In The Artful Year, there are art activities, crafts and recipes to help make each season special. These projects will help you and your family to create memories and mementos and you'll develop creative growth in your children and yourself, whilst having lots of fun! The book includes: • Arts and crafts, using the materials, colors, and themes of the season • Decorations to make as a family • Favorite seasonal recipes that are fun for children to help make (and eat) • Ideas for celebrating the holidays together • Suggested reading lists of children's picture books about the seasons and holidays The Artful Year is a fun and active resource for crafting and celebrating around the year!

With the long summer holiday not too far off on the horizon, this book could prove to be very useful ammunition against boredom, bickering and incarceration due to inclement weather!

I can already feel my fingers itching to hit the "buy with one click" button!

What's on your list? 
Share:
Blog Design Created by pipdig