A Lifestyle & Parenting Blog

Saturday 7 December 2013

I've Been A Bit Distracted By ... The Secret - 7/12/13

If you've never read THE self help tome of the last few years, Rhonda Byrne's "The Secret", you're either incredibly well adjusted psychologically or you've been living in a cave. 

I love to read self help manuals and my natural home is the "Mind, Body, Spirit" section of Waterstones. 

Needless to say, The Husband thinks the entire Law of Attraction genre is fraudulent nonsense and refers to it as "weirdy, beardy shite". Men.

The Secret by Rhonda Byrne - book front cover - Law of Attraction


The basic premise of "The Secret" is that we are all subject to the universal Law of Attraction and we attract what we think about most. Whatever we most desire, therefore, can be obtained by thinking positively and focusing on what it is we do want, not what we don't. Thus, to attract riches, you have to train yourself to think "I am rich" not "I have a lot of credit card bills I have unfortunately accrued during numerous peri-menopausal shopping sprees". 

"The Secret" achieved its global fame due to supporters like Oprah Winfrey and she always seems to be quite perky to me. Although I wonder if you're as rich as Oprah whether there are many things left to worry about.

Yes, "The Secret"'s pages are filled with the wisdom of numerous American 'pseudo' spiritualists and doctors and the whole thing smacks slightly of quackery, but on a dark day it does cheer me up no end to think that I too could be up there with the world's greats (Newton, Da Vinci, Shakespeare) if I just get a grip and think on the bright side.

Come to think of it,  that's exactly what The Husband tells me regularly.  

Spooky.

Further information:  "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne is available at Amazon.co.uk and your local branch of Waterstones.
Share:
Blog Design Created by pipdig